Bulletin Board

Holiday Hours: December 24th close at 3pm. Closed December 25th. December 31st close at 5pm. Closed January 1st!

A Closer Look At Cans

It was reported a few years ago that more canned pet food diets were fed in Europe than dry food. That might not be the case now with the marketing from big commodity diets chasing dollars, but it was the case for certain not long ago.

Nature’s Logic published an article where we highly recommended adding moisture to dry pet food to make it more genetically proper for dogs and cats since their prey diet would be very high in moisture, not dry like kibble. Canned food is high in moisture, which makes it more genetically proper for a carnivore assuming the ingredients are proper and healthy.

Scott Freeman, founder of Nature’s Logic expressed, “In my years taking consumer calls, I have heard it all. Recently, and not for the first time, a consumer thought they ought to feed kibble because it cleans teeth and that canned or wet food rots teeth.” Well, kibble does not brush teeth, and neither does canned food, but both can be either positive or negative for dental health. If a canned food or a dry food is high in carbohydrates and low in animal protein, either can certainly create a welcoming environment in the mouth for plaque growing bacteria. On the other hand, a kibble or canned food that is high in animal protein and low in carbohydrates can help create a healthy environment that is less inviting to plaque growing bacteria. Add to that some raw meaty bones at least once a week, and you can have a very healthy canine dental check up.

So what about cans? There could be a case made that feeding pets canned food could be better than dry kibble. First of all, the positive about all canned diets is moisture. This is important for both dogs and cats, but especially cats, which are more prone to dehydration and urinary tract blockage. Secondly, feeding canned food is less likely to cause obesity because it would not be free fed like dry. Canned food also has fewer calories per the same weight or volume serving as kibble. If the canned diet is of high quality, just add a little probiotic/enzyme supplement to the top, and you have something almost as good as raw or just as good as the current high pressure pasteurized (HPP) frozen diets or cooked refrigerated diets. The refrigerated so called “fresh foods" are nothing but refrigerated canned food being marketed in a different way in order to make them look different even though it is not.

Nature's Logic canned foods are 100% real food and natural ingredients just like Nature's Logic kibble and frozen diets, and they also do not contain any synthetic vitamins or minerals. They contain 95% animal ingredients including muscle meat with some bone, organ meat and fat. The other 5% is a concentrate of added dehydrated fruits, veggies, plasma protein, and monmorillonite clay. By adding on top a small amount of Nature's Logic All Food Fortifier Supplement, which contains probiotics and enzymes, this would create a meal that would rival any HPP frozen foods or refrigerated fresh foods, and also be less expensive than those products.

Scott Freeman reports, “We receive praises about our canned food all the time from consumers, and I personally have gotten excellent results from them with my own dog. I especially like the nice, firm stool from feeding a high moisture and high animal protein content canned food.” They are certainly a very good option for pets dealing with loose stool, obesity, diabetes, finicky eaters, and urinary tract and bladder issues.